Help B file the paperwork necessary to remain in the U.S. with her U.S. citizen husband and...

  • Client Location: Cornwall-on-Hudson
  • Type of Relief: Family-Based + Adjustment of Status

If you are interested in this case, click the link to the right to let Catholic Charities know!

Facts:  B is a 37 year old native of Mongolia who met her husband, a U.S. citizen, while they were teaching together at an educational center in the capital of Mongolia. The couple married in a civil ceremony in 2011 in Mongolia. Together they have two children born in Mongolia. B’s husband D returned to the United States to accept a temporary teaching contract in 2018.  Subsequently, B planned to visit her husband and applied for a visitor’s visa.  After she applied for the visa, B’s husband was offered a long term contact to teach at the New York Military Academy in 2019. Since B’s visitor visa had already been approved, the family headed to the U.S. Out of concern that their civil marriage in Mongolia might be invalid, the couple married again in 2019 in New York City Hall. B now seeks to adjust her status and apply for Legal Permanent Residency. 

Legal assessment:  D is eligible to petition for B to obtain a green card so that she can remain in the U.S. with her family. B and D need a dedicated attorney to help them prepare and file the required paperwork with the government so that their family can stay safely together.

  • Immediate Relatives
  • Case Placement
  • Adjustment of Status
  • Client/witness interviewing
  • Beginner
  • Client advice and counseling
  • Estimated Time Commitment (Hours)
    • < 5
    • 5-10
    • 10-20
    • > 20
    • unknown
  • Mentor Available
  • Free Volunteer Training
  • Organization Provides Malpractice Insurance
  • Case Level / Appropriate For
  • Skills Developed
    Client advice and counseling, Client/witness interviewing, Document Drafting
  • Venue where case will be heard
  • Additional Volunteers Needed